
So I've been officially inducted into motherhood by my little boy. On facebook, there was a comment that circumcision is one of the reasons why it's better to have a girl then a boy. I think having a fountain of urine shoot up in the air should rank really high on the list. It all started after I had given our little boy a bath. I was proud of myself, because normally Joel has cleaned him, but with him gone at graduation, it was my turn. After cleaning him, he decided to mess up his diaper. Being the loving mother that I am, I decided that he shouldn't just sit in a dirty diaper too long, and I figured I'd change him. That was the beginning of the end. Our little son just stared at his unsuspecting mother so sweetly, while she was applying petroleum jelly to his newly circumcised area. I was wondering why he wasn't fussing during this part (he normally does), when all of a sudden a stream of pee was shooting at me. Quick reflex that I never knew I had caused me to jump out of the way and flip the diaper over him at the same time to curb this reckless wayward spray. After about 10 seconds, I lifted it off thinking the damage had finished, I mean, because how much urine could a less then 2wk old possibly have in him, seriously?! I judged wrong. Not only that, but when I flipped the diaper over him, I also inadvertantly flipped his little male part so that it was pointing up and not down... thus when I removed the diaper to finish cleaning him, pee then launched the other way and started spraying my startled boy in the face, while his poor mom was frantically trying to put her hands over his face and cover it. I quickly wiped up his face with a blanket (the only thing besides diapers I had on hand), finished changing him, cleaned him again (so much for his first bath, right?!) and sprayed his face with silver shield (Aunt Clara would be so proud-- although I'm not into the natural things, there is nothing else I could think of that could "disinfect" without harming a newborn)... now its a matter of hoping that he doesn't get sick. Poor little boy. First he has a clogged tear duct and now this. And his momma learned that you can't have set schedules with little ones- even IF I had all the feeding/sleeping times down pat, one little thing can add an hour of unaccounted for activities to the day. What an awakening to motherhood. I have a feeling it won't be the last.
My dad pointed out the comic strip to me today. I've already gone through about 100 diapers-- only thousands more to go, right?! --and after this experience, I almost wonder whether it would be a good idea ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment