Saturday, June 6, 2009

Last Days in Phoenix

What a sad post (but a cute first pic of my lil ASU stud)!! Really though, it is only going to be the "last days" for 5 years...

I'm really trying to think short term, although my husband didn't help when he commented that "do you realize that residency is twice as long as we've been married?" - Now, I feel like we've been married forever (in a good sense that is ;) So now I'm trying to imagine what [forever x 2] feels like. Wow. ... any thoughts??

My sister only made matters worse when she reminded me that I will be 30 years old by the time Joel is done and we are able to move back again. Ouch.

My last few days in Phoenix consisted of packing and trying to facilitate packing, while working on a 3 hr schedule with 1 hr breaks between each (in other words, nursing a very lazy eating newborn), and watching my whole past two years be summarized in a 16ft Budget truck. The days consisted of trying to cram in as many as events as possible, in as little time as possible, while trying to stay as relaxed as possible (scary... I think my husband is rubbing off on me...)

Joel left a week before I did, and with the help of his parents, Ruth and Tim, moved all our stuff to a storage unit in Michigan, where it would await our arrival a month later. We didn't think it would be wise to travel such long hours with a newborn, so I got to stay behind in the lovely city of Phoenix for another week. What a drag.
A few snapshots of our final days...
Liam's first trip to Sakana. Part of the reason we went (besides to let Liam experience raw fish for the first time) was to see Denise, Katie's boss. We ended up missing her though, because she went into labor that afternoon!

After sushi, we went to Sweet Republic, an amazingly delicious artisan icecream shop. With sorbet flavors like basil lime, yogurt flavors like blueberry cinnamon, and icecream like cheese course (blue cheese and medjool dates)... all made with natural ingredients... what's not to love?!

On Wednesday evening, Timothy spotted a rattlesnake. Because the small children like to play in that area, my super hero dad took a shovel and killed it.

If you had just spent the past two days working hard and packing late into the night, and knew that you were headed out of town at dawn with a long day of driving tomorrow, what would you do?? Well, if you are like my husband, the answer is obvious... watch Tommy Boy, of course!!

Unfortunately, Joel left before the family could organize a farewell party for us. It also ended up being a coming-out party for Liam (as well as his new cousin Connor).

The day before we left, we had our last Starbucks social with the Camerons and the Stones. Sarah also came, and towards the end, Molly randomly came too!

Swedish crepes with lingonberries and lingonberry butter. :)
My daddy rhetorically asked me what I wanted as my last meal in Phoenix. Since we had just had In-n-Out, and I'd been craving these from IHOP since the baby was born, it really was not hard to figure out!!

No comments: