Friday, July 3, 2009

So this is what residency is like???


So Wednesday began what I had considered "the beginning of the end", where I would lose my husband for the next 5 years. When I pictured residency, I pictured my husband leaving before dawn and coming home sometime after 10pm... but for the last two days, he has stunned me by walking through the door at 5:30pm! He told me not to get used to it- his current rotation is trauma, which is new at Botsford hospital, so they are still working on the ropes together. So I decided that this was a fluke.

And then we got the call yesterday evening. We were driving home from Willard Bahr's visitation when Joel got a call from the chief resident. I feared that he was going to have to go back in... instead we were both stunned to hear...

a THREE day weekend!!!

Now we don't know what to do with ourselves! Do we work on the house, or take this opportunity to travel (which it seems this is all we've done lately)... hmmm- the possibilities are endless, although certain restrictions apply. So we get to celebrate this Independence Day together, a celebration of our country's birthdate... a celebration of the freedom to worship an amazing God... and a celebration of a freedom from residency.

I am loving residency. I will probably regret saying that in a few weeks. I better not get used to this. But for now, I'm counting my blessings. :)

... A post on my mom's visit to come...

4 comments:

Janel said...

Yay!! I'm so excited to see that you have a blog! It will be so nice to be able to keep up with you guys this way! Congrats on Liam! He's a cutie.

Whitney said...

I hope you enjoyed your 3 day weekend! Do I get to make a suggestion on future posts? I want to see pics of your house!

-John and Amy said...

I didn't know you had this! You officially have another reader/stalker. :)

If residency ever shows it's true colors and you get bored and lonely give me a call. I'm also super good at unpacking boxes and washing dishes. :)

-- Amy

J Gutwein said...

Thinking of you as you transition.. I hope you love it. Love, J