I was awoken at about 1am, and while in the bathroom noticed that there was a police car sitting outside our house with it's lights off. Not for sure that this was actually what I was seeing (and I guess having a snoopy, curiosity itch), I went back to get my glasses. As I reached my bedside, I heard our garage door. Panicked, I paused for a second or two to listen to see if I could hear the door to our house from the garage being opened. I then headed back to the bathroom window. The police car was now facing my driveway with it's headlights on (but not on it due to the fact that the combination of my husband's car and mulch blocked any further access), our driveway sensor light was on, and moments later the police car left.
I figured waking my husband to ask him to go downstairs would have been pointless, as if I succeeded in the actual waking part, his cognizance would probably not be up to par as a part of this wee morning package, so I asked him when he awoke for work whether or not he left the garage door open. He couldn't remember, but said it is a sure possibility. The garage light was on, but the door was shut when he went downstairs to check.
So I figure that Mr. Police Man was probably driving down the road by our house, noticed my husbands weirdly parked car at the entrance of our driveway, drove in to investigate, saw our opened garage door, waited and checked for suspicious activity, was thoughtful enough when he was content (after maybe feeling J's car and seeing the hood was cool to the touch) that nothing fishy was going on to lower the garage door before going on his merry way.
Do you guys have better explanations I should consider??
Anyhow, all this got me thinking the rest of that morning, and it reminded me of a discussion at a Bible study up in Prescott. The topic was "rereward". A new word it had been for most of us; the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines rereward as a rearguard. Found in various portions of scripture, the Bible mentions the tribe of Dan being rereward for the tribes of Israel (Numbers) and had it not been for the other Philistine lords, David, when he was fearful of Saul, was to help the Philistine King Achish attack the Israelites at Jezreel (I Samuel 29). The verse that I was reminded of most though was
"For you shall not go with haste, nor go by flight: for the LORD will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rereward"
Isaiah 55:12
Not sure why, but the incident this morning kind of made me think about how the police officer on duty had "our backs", or was covering our rear so to speak, in terms of watching out for us when we negligently forgot to lower our garage door last evening. By being alert and doing this for us, he protected us from a possible home invasion. It reminds me though how God has promised to be our rereward, just like he was to the Israelites when they were making their exodus from Egypt and crossing the Red Sea (Exodus 14). In our daily walks of life, not only does the Lord Jehovah, the great I AM that sees and is in control of all things in the future-- not only does He go out before us, making the crooked ways straight, but He also guards our backs, lest the enemy attack us from behind, whether by physical attacks or even mental ones from previous sins committed in the past. Isn't that a wonderful promise?!
Now if I could just remember this everyday. :)


1 comment:
Is that why there was a little note from "Det. Woods" stuck in our front door? Hehe . . .
Post a Comment