I will have more pictures once Joel comes home... and maybe a video too. But I took this picture before he left. He was only allowed to have a backpack and personal bag (he chose his camelbak over a fanny-pack) for his personal belongings, and they could only weigh a maximum of 35lbs. The other two duffels were filled to the max (it took lots of rearranging) with medical supplies donated from Medline and Botsford Hospital. I've never seen a backpack packed so full. My husband looked like a pack mule ;)
Tonight's Update from the Team:
The trip down was uneventful. Stopped for refueling in the Bahama Islands. Their supplies have not arrived but are scheduled to arrive in the morning. They then proceeded to Kings Garden Hospital. There they found the hospital well staffed with orthopedic surgeons and nursing staff, with adequate supplies and very organized. (The church has worked with King's Hospital previously). The physicians temporarily staffing Kings Garden Hospital are members of a team from Medical Teams International (MTI), another partner who has supported Dr. Morquette over the past few years. Because of the presence of this team and adequate supplies in Port-au-Prince, our Team plans to travel to Les Ceyes/Bonne Fin area tomorrow morning where there is only 1 orthopedic surgeon and they are completely out of anesthesia supplies.
Once in the Les Ceyes/Bonne Fin area, the Team may divide into a Les Ceyes Team and Bonne Fin team. They will decide that tomorrow morning.
Tonight, they had a good meal and are staying at Dr. Marquette's personal home. His home was not damaged but for those of you who have been to Port-au-Prince, he said the damage is hard to comprehend with large areas of completely flattened buildings. They have not seen the downtown area and plan to drive through there tomorrow on their way to Les Ceyes.
If you could please include in your prayers for all of Haiti and Joel's team, I know they and I would both gratefully appreciate it!

3 comments:
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Amber! We'll be praying!
Thanks for the update Amber, I am definitely praying. Also...no one really wears fanny packs anymore :)
I'm glad for the update and I'm glad he was able to go help! We'll be praying here too.
Bryan&Ashton
Post a Comment