Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In Memory Of

... Joel's grandfather, Ed Bahler.

Upon driving home from our St. Patrick's day excursion, we were told that Joel's grandfather passed away from Alzheimer. He had been slowly going downhill the past few years, but really withered these last few weeks. I did not know him well, but he left such a wonderful legacy, that was clearly evident in the memories of the hundreds of people that visited with the family over this past weekend, as well as with his 8 children, 41 grandchildren and 30 great-grandchildren. People often liken my husband to his grandfather, both knowing no stranger... Grandpa Bahler was always giving little spiritual cards and magnets to people and always telling jokes.

This picture was taken back when we visited Grandpa at Mulberry on Thanksgiving day

A few of my specific memories of him was...
  • Meeting him for the first time at a Bahler get-together that I was invited to attend with Ruth. (Little did I know I would get a proposal from his grandson a few days later!) Always one to take pictures, I found out later that he circulated a picture of me around the FBi building later the next week.
  • Him walking into a room where Ruthie and I were sleeping a couple days later... just to say hi and chat with us a bit in the morning hours!
  • After I was married to Joel, we went to visit Grandpa and Grandma Bahler at their home. I was amused by the parking lines he had painted in his driveway, and enjoyed the typical cheese, crackers, tea and root beer snack so commonplace at their table. Everything was fine and dandy until he looked out the window and saw my car. Ever the Ford lover, he went out with his camera to snap a picture of the Nissan that dared to park in his driveway!

Liam, for his part, didn't get to know his "gait gen pa". But if you ask him where his great grandpa is, he will point up and tell you " heden" :)


What was originally supposed to be the Virkler family vacation ended up being a reunion or sorts in Remington instead, as we all headed to Joel's parents for the visitation/funeral. Although we were meeting under a less then ideal occasion, Joel still was able to make the most of it, seeing his extended family on Saturday, many friends and people he knew on Sunday, and catching up with still more at the funeral on Monday. For my part, I was the first of many in the Virkler house (it took out 8 of us in all!) to end up getting some type of food poisoning/stomach bug, so I ended up missing the all-day Sunday visitation, but was fortunately feeling well enough to make it to the funeral on Monday morning. That evening, Grandpa watched the kids, while all of us siblings were able to head down to Lafayette for a quick meal together. When we came back, we were surprised by a visitor- Uncle Brad had biked over and spent the next couple hours catching up and talking with us, and sharing his ice cream with Liam- they were instantly friends :)

And a trip to Indiana wouldn't be the same if we didn't stop by Five Loaves on our way back up to get some truffles, pecan rolls (and a sandwich)! I really do recommend Danielle's lil bakery/cafe if you are ever in the area!

Because of the funeral, and some type of bug that went around, I didn't take too many pictures. Actually, I only took 3. So here they are...





No comments: