For the past couple years, Cherise and Woodhaven have organized an event focused on redeeming Halloween for the small children to meet at the nursing home and "parade" around visiting different residents dressed in costume. The Woodhaven staff and elderly residents enjoy seeing the small children all dressed up. This year was no different, except instead of handing out candy to the residents, the children gave homemade cards to them, and the residents were given candy by the staff to hand out to the children. It was culminated by a visit to see the boss, Randy, who announced to his staff that I'm going to have a little girl next spring. (Come next Wednesday, we shall see whether Randy and Liam are right!)
Anyhow, it was no surprise that Liam wanted to be a cowboy like his friend Jake, rope, hat, boots, belt buckle and all. Aiden, since he still won't talk, had no choice but to be what Liam was last year (although this year it fit!). Some of the staff even remembered the doctor running around from last year, and were delighted to see that the pea was now running around in the doctor costume. I still can't stand this holiday, successfully avoided all stores that had anything even remotely scary, and was able to get my son to be content with just a couple of pieces from the stash that he got (it helps that he associates fruit snacks with church services). And for the few people that gave me dirty, bah-humbug looks this year when I said I would not be taking my children trick-or-treating (why anyone thinks a 3 yr old needs that much sugar anyways is beyond me...), and then went on to circumvent my parental authority and ask my son if he wanted to go out and get candy for Halloween... well, they were shocked when he said that he already did get candy from some nice old people at Woodhaven. So there!
But I'm not the least bit bitter... :)
By the way, for those who think that Aiden is dressed like his father... Joel wanted to make it clear he is not his Daddy, because he is an MD, not a DO. I told him the cell phone to the ear and the scrubs makes them a lot alike though... ;)
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad there's someone else who doesn't take their kids trick-r-treating! Besides not liking the grossness of the holiday...why would I want my kids to have all that candy??
Post a Comment