Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday Mornings and the Fashion Sense of a Four Year Old

It started out with cowboy boots. I saw him putting them on over his barefeet and told him he had to wear socks so his feet wouldn't get "stinky".

From downstairs, I could hear his Daddy telling him five minutes later that he couldn't wear boots with shorts. It just didn't work. Long pants yes. Shorts no. Put on his sandals instead.

 I guess I'm so used to seeing him run around like that during the other 6 days of the week, I've become immune.

I head upstairs to get the baby to load him in the car seat. There is my four year old in tube socks and sandals. It brings a smile to my face as I remember my high school English teacher. I tell Joel that his son has his fashion sense. Must be a "homeschooled" thing (a running joke that we've had for the past week-- and really, 6+ years... please don't take offense if you were homeschooled) ;)  He hasn't noticed Liam. Remarks that even a homeschooled boy knows that boots don't go with shorts.

Then he turns and sees Liam. Tells Liam that people don't wear socks with sandals. Liam remarks that socks keep his feet from stinking. I smile. Joel says that feet don't stink when they wear sandals. I quietly remark in my mind that yes, Keens do in fact stink after they get wet with feet in them, before they get a good washing. Just ask Laura. Or my parents. Joel tells Liam he must take off the socks. Liam leaves the room.

Aiden comes into the room a couple minutes later. I hear Liam call out that he helped Liam get dressed. Aiden's wearing his winter snow coat. Joel looks at Aiden and tells him its already almost 80 outside and he doesn't need a coat. Liam comes into the room and says that Aiden wanted his coat, so he helped him put it on. I wonder how he got the coat out of the closet, and am impressed that he helped Aiden put it on and zip it up. I remark my thoughts. Liam replies that it's because he's a big boy now, because he's four. I agree he is getting big.

Liam heads out of the room. Joel tries to take off Aiden's coat, while avoiding the banana that Aiden is currently smashing in his tight little grip. Aiden refuses to take off his coat or even the hood. Joel sighs and goes back to fixing his tie.

Liam comes back into the room, proudly telling his Daddy that he took off his socks, and is ready for church. I take a side glance, do a double take and smile. I think Joel gives up and states out loud that he gets his fashion sense from his mom's side of the family. I think it's really his Aunt Katie. ;)


Let's just say he got quite a few comments from people at church today about his tie and belt buckle. And don't worry, in this 86 degree, humid day, Aiden's jacket didn't last too long. :)

No comments: