Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Cutco and God's Grace

Remember this guy?


He flashes a smile, tells people hi, and they think that he is about the most perfect baby that could come by. He's known for always having a smile, always laughing, always happy...

Well, I've also decided that his bubbly little smiling self will have me with a full head of grey by the time I'm 40. And my husband predicts we will be frequenting the ER soon. And it'll be by God's grace and abounding mercy if he survives until adulthood. I think he needs someone just to follow him around 24/7. Especially when I turn my back, and he's trying to climb onto the hot stove (using that pull out drawer) to check what stuff I have cooking on the burner. Or trying to ride down the stairs on his ride-on toy. Or climb into the dryer and see if he can cover himself with clothes. Or dive headfirst over the back of the wingback chair. Or, like yesterday morning, when he came crawling up the stairs holding a Cutco knife he had gotten from climbing up and down the kitchen counter using the bottom cupboard shelves as a ladder... his little hand fisting the blade, jabbering and excitingly waving it around at me.

He wanted me to slice an apple for him.

After the first few seconds of my heart-stopping, freaking out, yelling at him 'no', rushing to him as he stood and leaned back, almost to the point of falling down the stairs, knife still in hand, and quickly grabbing it out of his hand, checking for blood and finding there was not even a scratch on his hand or body...

well, when I picture what I've seen Cutco knives do to other people and my fingernails or fingers if I forget they are in a sink filled with water, all I can do is thank God that He cares enough to dull even the sharpest knife blades when necessary.

No comments: