Monday, March 26, 2012

A Guest Post from your Neighborhood Toddler

Hi, this is Liam here.

I am an aspiring chef. I've pretty much almost over taken Mommy's skills, though I do make a bit more of a mess in the process. Recently, there had been a sale at Publix for Pillsbury biscuits and we bought some, because I love biscuits. Well, after making homemade biscuits up in Michigan, I didn't much care for these. Mommy said we couldn't waste them though, so what were we to do with the other cans...?? After Mommy thought about it a bit, she decided to teach me how to make monkey bread... but why not make it in personal portions- and thus we made monkey muffins.

But it gets better. You see, it is such an easy recipe, that ANY toddler can do it pretty much by themselves. So this time I did. (Except I allowed Mommy to help me to save time).

And we made them for Nana. But unfortunately, since Nana doesn't seem to want to fly back into Tampa just yet, I thought I would just give Nana the play-by-play on how to make them. We didn't really follow a recipe this time though (Daddy took the iPad to work with the recipe!), so we kind of made it up! That's how real chefs do it anyhow.

The ingredients: biscuits, sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil/butter
(please note... the first time we only used butter. The second time, Mommy thought we ought to make it a bit healthier with a coconut oil/butter mixture. You get the same gooey butter/sugar sauce, but don't have to feel as bad!

 

 First, you want to cut the biscuits into quarters. Kind of like playing with play-doh!
(And it's good to have a snack close at hand so you don't eat the dough- my snack of choice was cinnamon yogurt pretzels, yum!)

 

It's beneficial to be photogenic and friendly towards the press... 

 

 Next, you take your biscuit quarters and dip them in a bowl of cinnamon sugar mixture.
Make sure to get them good and coated. Unless you want a low sugar version, then do what I do, and just coat one side ;)

 

 Take turns placing them into the "tins".
It's a great way to count and make sure each one has the same amount!
Mommy loves educational lessons that are yummy for our tummies!

 Fill them evenly. Depending on the size of muffin, you can make more then 12, but Mommy only brought down a couple of muffin tins.

 Make sure you are teaching as you work... O-R-G-A-N-I-C says "Coconut Oil" :)

 Spoon the hot buttery/cinnamon sugar mixture over the muffins.
Normally we use the stove, but this time Mommy cheated and not only just used normal sugar (as opposed to brown sugar), but she also just used the microwave- one less bowl to wash she said!

 Make sure you get every last drop of buttery goodness-
this is the syrup that will coat the bottom of the muffins (or if you make bread, the top of it!)

 Do what the best chefs do... taste the goods before serving to others. In this case, the cinnamon sugar mixture- I had to make sure it wasn't stale! :)

 Bake them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes
(The oven portion should be performed by an adult!)

Ta Da!

Please note: the slightly overdone browness isn't necessarily ideal, but is prone to happen when the younger brother wakes up and is playing near the oven and Mommy has to remove him (and wipe his snotty nose) before pulling the muffins out!

And there you have it! I don't know if we will make them again while we are out here since we are out of biscuit cans, but maybe we will try again at home with homemade biscuits again. Nana, hope this helps you know how to make them!! I love you!

No comments: