Monday, April 2, 2012

God in the Details

It all started last Monday when the neighbouring landlord stopped by to warn us that "our" cat would need to avoid their place for the next few days. She said she was an animal lover and would hate to know she had been the cause of an animal's death. I shrugged it off, and told her that it kind of lived with the house, and there was NO way my husband would let it inside. (nor was I willing to chance it wrecking my possibilities of coercing talking my husband into getting a dog).

The next morning, I saw them putting up the black plastic. I was humoured when I saw what appeared to be a guy spraying paint on the tarp. It looked like he was trying to mask the fact that there was duct tape on it. We watched them work for a bit (I'm all about cheap entertainment, what can I say), and then ate lunch before I put the boys down for a nap. I then started doing my devotions. A bit into them and I started smelling a slight scent somewhat like vinegar. I concluded it must have been my Greek yogurt breath. :)

But after it started to annoy my nostrils, I went and brushed my teeth. It still lingered. I started investigating drains and rooms of the house. It seemed to be the strongest at the desk and in the hallway. After finally concluding that there was no fermenting food left by toddlers around, I gave up looking. And then it hit me. Next door.

So I started doing a bit of research.

And making some phone calls to a variety of different governmental acronyms.

And only the NPIC believed me. The rest mostly didn't give me the time of day, chalking it up to a hypochondriac of a SAHM. But my nose apparently didn't lie, because our duplex resident smelled it too. And both us wives (who have asthma) had respiratory problems when at home. And conveniently, it was less strong when I followed the NCIP's advice and turned off the a/c (in 90 degree Tampa humidity). Oh, how I wished for my old chemistry lab at that period of time. I still think that it's possible that less then 1ppm (yes, it seems a small number, I know, but 4ppm can kill you) could have gotten into our place, causing irritated passages, without harming the eyes. Course, maybe I'm wrong. I guess I may never know, because My pride got the best of me and I got sick of being thought of as a unintelligent, delirious mom.

But it doesn't stop me from seeing that ever so "conveniently"...

GOD WAS IN THE DETAILS.

Was it coincidence that Joel's parents happened to fly in that day and got us a hotel room with them?

Was it coincidence that Joel was given a second month to rotate with Dr. Infante, whom, when he heard about our plight, offered us his empty house nearby?

Was it mere coincidence that he has children the same age as ours, so the couple hundred outlets (I'm not exaggerating) were almost completely covered with safety covers, there was a safety gate built in at the top of the stairs (and one conveniently nearby for the bottom), the pool was fenced in, and all the doors that led to the backyard had key deadbolts, so my toddler wouldn't be able to go outside without my help.

The plush rocker, huge kitchen and having a separate bedroom for each boy was just the proverbial whipped cream and cherry on top!

It made me laugh to think that we increased the square footage of our living space 10-fold (500 to 5000sqft). I told Joel to enjoy the luxury, because we wouldn't ever be living like that again. But it was fun while it lasted. And I'm so grateful to the kind Infante family and to my Lord for such a brief, but sweet respite.

Especially since during that time, my son slept a couple long shifts (4-5 hours) without waking. It's amazing what the extra square footage, and corresponding quietitude will do!

The only downside to the house, was although it still had it's massive entertainment system (which I didn't utilize), it was lacking it's internet capabilities. So I was forced to go MIA for a week.

But maybe that's a good thing. :)

So once again, God in His great mercy and love, showered us with blessings above and beyond all that we could ever even imagine asking.

"And it makes me want to shout..." :)


Our normal smaller happy abode

Our 1 week vacation home
The kitchen :)
And my first experience with a gas stove... I kinda liked it!


 Upon this sight, we pulled out the other gate and sectioned off part of the living room for Aiden




(Stay tuned for pictures of Grandpa and Grandma's visit...)

No comments: