Friday, August 24, 2012

Lukewarm Peaches

This year, the produce in Michigan has been kind of a bust. Although we missed it, while we were down in sunny Florida, apparently Michigan had a nice warm winter, but then a spring frost. Those weather conditions made for a loss of all their tree fruit crops (aka cherries, peaches and apples). Thankfully we still have the first two in our freezer, so sparingly, we will survive until next summer. I'm desperate for applesauce though, as we've been out for a few months already, and the boys refuse to eat the store-bought natural (ie no sugar added) stuff, and I refuse to buy the stuff with the corn syrup. At an impasse, we remain an applesauce free household.

What does all that have to do with peaches you say?

Nothing.

I just needed to vent, as I contemplate paying top dollar for a couple bushels of apples.


But back to peaches. Because the crops have been next to nil out here, the stores have been shipping peaches in from the south. And although they are at least free stone, most have been flavorless. They look good. Smell good. Feel good (no bruises or anything). Even when you cut it open, they are pretty beautiful. And then you take a bite.

And you taste nothing.

You know it's bad when the little one turns his head to a piece of fruit, and your fruit-loving toddler tells you "no thank you." Good only for smoothies (assuming that there is still nutrition in them...)

I asked Liam if they tasted "yummy".

Nope.

I asked him if they tasted "yucky".

Nope.

Because they don't taste like anything.

It's a good reminder with our lives. We can look like we have it all together on the outside. Go to church. Dress modestly. Speak spiritually uplifting words rather then foul ones. Do good deeds and acts of kindness towards others. Not live flauntingly or outside our means. The list could go on without end.

For all anyone knows from a passing glance, that person would be the ideal Christian. But only the Lord and each individual person knows what the interior looks like, unless we truly care and delve into one another lives. And it's something I think we need to do. Not a one time thing. But constantly, to make sure we do not become lukewarm in our love for the Lord. To be passionate and all the way. And to go beyond the passive "how are you doing"'s in church and home, to really inquire and want to know how this same love relationship is fairing in the lives of your friends.


On a less serious note. I did eventually find good peaches. We were in TJ's one day, and Liam begged me to get a box. So I did. And they were amazing. Not a single bad one. And my children our family rediscovered a love for fresh, juicy, sweet peaches.

We are now on our second box. And it is often a race in the morning to see who will get to them first...



Remind me to push the chairs into the table so the little one can't climb up! Otherwise, I end up with a diaper, soaked exteriorly with juice, sticky legs and tabletop footprints... not to mention half eaten peaches. :)

2 comments:

Cindy E. said...

For applesauce, I always buy 'drops' or second-hand apples from an Orchard. He is from church and gives a good price on them. They are still really, really good and perfect for applesauce. (I use Golden Delicious for sugar free applesauce.) The name of the orchard is Christ's, but check around close to you to see if someone would be willing to sell them to you.
Cindy

L, Ann and boys said...

I enjoyed this post a lot. =)