Friday, August 23, 2013

Family Vaca (Mackinac Island)

For those unfamiliar with Mackinac Island, I'll explain it in a nutshell...
  • It's pronounced mack-in-aw
  • It's off the coast of the UP. There is no bridge, so you go across by ferry. 
  • There are no cars (carriage men were able to get them banned because they scared the horses), so the only way to travel on the island is by bicycle, carriage, or foot.
  • It's known for it's fudge.
It's an 8-mile trek around the island. Joel wanted to do it, so we rented a tandem bicycle, hooked a trailer to the back and strapped Callum to the front via Ergo. We had many gawkers! We probably could have made it around in an hour, but stopped a few times to let the boys take a break. They were either pummeling each other or singing together the whole 8 miles.

Our favorite memory of Mackinac (part 2)... The boys' loved the ferry ride. Joel loved the tandem ride, and I enjoyed the serene beauty we saw all around us. Our only regret was not making it inland to check out other areas (like the Grand Hotel). So we may have to go back again... :)

The older two enjoyed the breezy ride over. Callum and I sat inside.

We didn't pay the $15 to sit on the porch at the Grand Hotel :)









There were flowers everywhere. It was so beautiful...




Joel got many compliments on being "dad of the year". :)
In my defense, I didn't force him to take care of all three of them. But it was a nice break. :)


We met up with Scott and Jamie. It was fun being with them,
even if just for a bit.
I would've put a picture of Jamie and I up... but I promised her I wouldn't (Not to mention she reads my blog...). Sigh. ;)



1 comment:

forever fancy said...

Love Mackinac! So glad you got to make the journey north. Your photos are fantastic and capture the beauty so well!