do you all remember this?
Our annual event that brings hundreds from across the Detroit suburbs to participate in most likely a taxpayer-funded event?
It didn't seem like all that fun, you say?
Well, tell that to my child who would randomly talk about it over the past year, asking when we were going to do it again.
So... we headed back again this year.
And remember how I said parking was nasty last year?? Well, I almost drove again. But this time I thought pushing a double jogger with a baby strapped to me might be a good workout... and since I ate a couple cookies that afternoon...
anyways...
It's a good thing I did. Because I saw cars lined up and parked waaaaaaaaaay far away. Practically to our house.
Well, almost.
But it is a big to do.
I mean, look at this picture?
How many other places can you go to, where you get greedy children that run down the hill Braveheart-style in search of scavenging nine year old (or so the person that told me to watch out that my two year old didn't eat the marshmallow) cubes of gelatinous corn syrup??
Not just anywhere, I tell you :)
Must be one of the reasons we are in the top 100 cities to live in the good ole' US of A.
Well, this year, my husband said he was going to make it to the park by 6pm. The drop was at 615pm. Good thing we didn't wait for him to come, in order to go have fun on the firetrucks.
In case you didn't know... whenever an orthopedic surgeon gives you a specific time, it's best to add a couple hours to that time. Or else you may be disappointed.
But I've learned. ;)
So trying to manage three kids is a bit rougher then two. So I didn't quite get as fun of pictures as last year. Actually, they seem about the same, although Aiden was open to actually holding my hand this year, versus sitting in the stroller like last year. So Callum took his spot.
But they both enjoyed the fire truck again...
And dressing up like firemen...
Aiden actually didn't want to take off the hat. It was only with the promise of a marshmallow...
They sent everyone up the hill as they got the truck ready...
And rained down over a thousand marshmallows...
That girl doesn't look "5 and under", but there were two drops with the first being the little ones. Smart so they wouldn't get as trampled. It was still pretty chaotic...
He didn't seem to mind. He just held my hand until once again, a marshmallow dropped pretty much right in front of him. :)
This one disappeared into the mass of chaos, before reappearing with 8 marshmallows...
He wanted to roast his own hotdog. Good thing I asked for one already roasted ;) He lasted about a minute before he was ready to eat it...
They didn't care for the bonfire heat too much... so their marshmallows didn't really get toasty-- or even soften. And my warm-blooded Callum definitely did not care to be within 5 feet of the bonfire.
Homemade chocolate squares melt a little bit quicker/messier then Hershey's :)
And Daddy did make it for the very end. Pretty much when the fire trucks were leaving...
But the kona ice truck had stuck around just for him. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment