Sproul's frame narrative begins with a little boy Reilly
walking home from a day playing with friends. He is sad because he was chosen
last in their game. His parents direct him to the sage advice of his
grandfather who then tells him the story of a donkey named Davey. Davey was a
young colt who had yet to be chosen for any task. When he is finally chosen, it
is to carry Christ in His triumphal entry through the streets of Jerusalem.
After this privilege, Davey sees himself as too important for the trivial
assignments given to him by his owner. Through the wise words of an older
donkey, Barnabas, as well as later watching Christ walk to his crucifixion,
Davey learns the lessons of servanthood, obedience and a joyful heart.
As with some of Sproul's other tales, my four-year old
wasn't as interested with the story of Reilly so much as he was with the story
of Davey. He did have empathy towards Reilly, especially as he recently had
been told by another little boy that they were not friends (The beginning of many scars that will happen
in his life, I'm sure, but still hard to take in!). He also enjoyed guessing
the Bible stories when the donkeys were talking about their famous
predecessors. I once again appreciated how Sproul includes in both narratives the
involvement of the generations and the father looking to the older grandfather
as a source of wisdom (Job 12:12). There were many wonderful nuggets and
lessons tucked into the story and expounded upon in a 3-pg discussion portion
at the end of the book. The main lesson being that Christ's life was one of
servanthood reflected throughout His life and ministry, and is an example to
us, His followers (Matthew 20:28). I loved
that Sproul uses the term "master" when the two donkeys speak of
their owner. It makes reality hit home more when the older Barnabas instructs,
"...whatever the master decides to put on our backs. Every job is
important, even carrying a sack of olives, and you should do your best to do it
well." The story shows how God chose Jesus for the worst job- taking the
sins of mankind with Him upon the cross; with whatever task we have before us,
we should perform it diligently with a cheerful heart for the Lord (Colossians
3:23, I Thess 5:16-18). A good lesson when reinforcing the menial tasks around
the house (and a good reminder for this Mama when she is often weary from her
calling)! This was a good reinforcement for my young child, who is already
constantly trying to be a servant and knight. In addition, both the donkey and
the boy struggle with identity and purpose, areas where I think many can relate
as well. I was able to use this to show my son that we are children of the King
and He is our faithful Friend and will never forsake us.
In conclusion, our family enjoyed this book and I would
recommend it, again, not as a book specifically about Easter week (though the
story finishes with Christ's resurrection and the resulting hope for mankind
from His shed blood), but as one to help establish biblical character traits. I
do enjoy adding it to our books we read during this Easter season however, as
it adds a side narrative to the already well-known story and celebration in our
home.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I
received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a
positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this
in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255


No comments:
Post a Comment