Most toddlers have a favorite thing to sleep with... blankets ... a teddy bear or some other stuffed animal... etc.
My son does not fall under the category of "most toddlers". He's never taken to any specific thing, and really probably could care less that there are a few of said objects in his crib.
Well, last night, he decided to change that up, when he woke up at 3am and couldn't fall back asleep right away.
Can you guess what he chose?
Meet the graham cracker.
I have a package of these in our bedroom for my "middle-of-the-night-hunger-pains-when-I-don't-want-to-go-downstairs-to-grab-something". And Liam knows this. And sometimes we share them together. Well, Joel brought him in the room (because my poor husband had just gotten home- and no, he wasn't on call!) and Liam asked for oatmeal. I told him it was 3am, and I was not going to make him oatmeal. He asked for applesauce, and I repeated my previous answer. Wide awake by now, he asked for a cracker. I figured I could at least appease this request, so I gave him a quarter of a cracker, and then we went to go read a book and go back to bed. I thought he would eat the cracker. He didn't, but he was on the verge of a vicious meltdown every single time I tried to just take it out of his hand as well.
Although I don't believe in eating food in bed (or drinks for that matter), I was too tired to listen to him cry for who knows how long after I stuck him in bed if I took away the cracker. So after we were done reading a book, I plopped him back in bed, cracker and all. He laid down on his pillow, let me put the blanket on over him, held the cracker up to his chest, closed his eyes and fell asleep.
Just like that.
This morning, the cracker was still uneaten. But I don't think I will let him keep this new bedmate.
In other news, it continues to bless me as I watch his thought process during bedtime prayers. Although we pray for his "grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins... friends... etc", he is now starting to throw out names. Last night it was John and Amy K, Cosette, and his great grandpa in heaven. He even threw in there an "I love Jesus" :)
Speaking of heaven... please pray for Joel's cousin John and Teresa Hartter (as well as their families) as they mourn over the loss of their 11mo old girl who passed away Tuesday from RSV and pneumonia complications.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I laugh out loud every time I read your blog. Keep up the good work! You are a wonderful mother. Cindy
Post a Comment