Thursday, April 25, 2013

Callum's Birth Story (Detailed for Future Reference... :)



We had tried just about every trick in the book (I found out from another OB today, that her partner swears by gorgonzola cheese... I admit, I didn't try that one and didn't think to bring it up until after she left, that technically pregnant women are not supposed to eat that cheese last time I checked...).

Nothing had worked.

We were given a choice for our overdue baby... Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. But at my appt, Dr. Fleming wanted Wednesday, because she wanted to deliver him. So it was scheduled. Wednesday at 8am. And thus the 24hr waiting period began. But I called an hour early, and was told to hold off until 9am. Then I was pushed back until noon. They apparently had a few emergencies come in, and wanted me in a normal room, vs a triage. It made me laugh to see that God was still in control of when HE wanted our boy to be welcomed into this world.

Bev graciously picked up our boys and we went in at 12. After all the preliminary testing and what not, my membranes were ruptured at 2pm. Dr. Fleming said since the baby was still fully engaged, no pitocin would be needed unless nothing happened for a while. I was still dilated to a 3, 60-70% effaced.

At 4, they checked me again. Contractions had been mostly light and sporadic at this point in time. I was dilated to a 3 1/2. I made the comment that I found it skeptical that a half a centimeter could be measured, sight unseen. But I was thankful for the "progress". My sweet husband went to the van so I could try out the birthing ball, something I've never done in the past. Not sure if it was sitting like that versus taylor sitting, but I started having regular(6-8min), mostly light contractions after that. I still kept an eye on the EFM to even know I was having most of them. Since Aiden had been born after only 2 hours of active labor (6 hours from when my membranes ruptured), I was kind of frustrated that nothing was happening this time. They "reassured" (or discouraged!) me that artificial ROM can take 24 hours. That didn't make me happy.

At about 530-6pm, they started getting a little bit tighter. Still easily manageable. Joel started debating going to church to listen to the Mueller's talk about their future work abroad with New Tribal Missions. I told him he could go, but I'd probably have the baby in his absence. My dad got there shortly thereafter, and after hanging out for a bit at the hospital, they took off to church at about 630 to 7pm. Joel was going to return when my Mom called him telling him I was dilated to 10cm. I told him that even though Bots was only 10 minutes away, he was still going to miss the birth.

After they left, I started having a bit more sacral pain during my contractions, so my mother would press on my back when they would begin. My husband returned, surprising us. He had gotten my "hint". :) He took over for my mom. About the time of his return (sometime after 7pm I'm guessing, since Nathan was already into his presentation- yes, we listened to it during labor!), my labor started to become harder and much closer together. My thighs actually hurt the most (maybe because the ball was blown up too much??), but I was so thankful and encouraged by my laboring partners, my Mom and my Husband. :)

The last few contractions were painful, and I was so frustrated because the EFM showed barely anything, and yet I was feeling intense pressure, as well as pain in my lower back, front and thighs. I decided it was time to tell them I wanted to be checked again, because I wanted to push. One of the nurses chuckled and said that I had only been a 3 a few hours before, but she would send in the doctor.

I was at 9.5cm. Dr. Fleming pushed the cervix back the rest of the way, stretched my perineum a bit and told me to push. His heart rate dropped a bit, so she said I could push without contractions. Because of the angle of his broad shoulders, it felt like it took longer pushing out the body then the head (and caused me to get 3-4 stitches). But after about 7 minutes of pushing he was out! Praise the Lord!

Long Story Short?

Callum Joseph Virkler was born on April 24th, 2013 at 8:08pm. He weighed in at a whopping 8lbs, 3 oz and measured in at 21 inches. He had a perfect APGAR of 9/9.

We are blessed. And he is loved. His older brothers adore him, as Liam is already showering him with love and Aiden will point to him and say "Baby". Pretty phenomenal, I tell you. :)

He has lots of hair that sticks up that already makes the girls swoon (or at least the female nurses ;), chunky cheeks and a double chin.

He also has a dimple just above his little bottom. An ultrasound revealed a connection between that and his spinal column, so he has an appointment and possible MRI scheduled for Monday at Detroit Children's Hospital. So he could use your prayers that it isn't serious :)









2 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

I'm telling you...that birthing ball trick works wonders. Not sure I would have wanted more kids without it (kidding of course ;) but really, I totally bring my own since I positively can't face it without sitting on that thing and get skeptical the hospital's will be in use or something. :) Sorry you got so sore in the thighs though... :( it may have been nerve pain? Who knows, it does take some muscle power to bounce up and down...which my husband can hardly bare to watch for more then two minutes. ;) Makes him dizzy I think. Heehee

So glad he's here safe and sound.

Ashton said...

Hooray! I'm so glad he's here safely and can't wait for pictures. Congrats!