But seriously, I did get a good education, and I'm so thankful for it.
It's amazing the things the brain remembers. I still remember the alphabet song I learned in 4th grade. The Greek one. I still remember and can recite all the prepositions that lined the room of my 6th grade class. I can sing the 15 minute national performance (with choreography) from my fourth grade show choir. I still remember how much we complained about having to memorize every bone and muscle in the body for P.E. (Thankfully, all that information is no longer taking up valuable space in my mind :). I can still recite geometrical formulas and mathematical proof theorems (if only I had remembered how to apply them correctly on tests!). I remember countless definitions, poems, Latin derivatives and literary devices.
But what I remember most, always recalling with a smile and inevitably a lyric and tune ensemble that lingers for the next week is Schoolhouse Rock.
Some of you might not even know what that is, as it was not a part of your education. Que lastima.
Others might laugh and think it belongs in the first category of my description of my education. Asi se va.
But there is much to be learned from it. Much to be appreciated. And if you don't believe me, just ask my poor husband, who happened to fall in both of the first two categories, as he had never heard of SR, and think I am beyond help as I serenade him with the preamble, conjunction junction and I'm just a bill. He even has been able to get out of my SR date night choice thus far. But after all this budget talk and debt ceiling business, I was again reminded of a SR that I stumbled upon when I was reminiscing about interjections with my mother recently. It's a "newer" one, as in, I was out of school by the time it was created, but it still makes me laugh when I see that Disney was complaining when the debt was $5 trillion. Now it's $17 trillion. So sad.
So without further ado, here is Tyrannosaurus Debt. Definitely not my favorite, but a good introduction for all you newbies to Schoolhouse Rock, especially with all the recent Washington squabbles.

No comments:
Post a Comment