It's been a little while hasn't it.
The Christmas season.
If you are in retail, it begins November 1st, if not sooner.... "Thanksgiving Thursday" or "Black Friday" at the latest.
For me, I refuse to let it even touch the Thanksgiving weekend. My one unadulterated holiday for thanking the Lord for His many blessings-- and I try to keep it that way (besides the Virkler family celebrating Christmas at Thanksgiving, since it is the only time we are all together... but I let it slide.)
It is so easy to get caught up in the "Christmas spirit"... but the spirit of what? Baking and caroling? Shopping and photo cards? Liam is about 25-30% of the time realizing that "Noah" might have another more popular name... can you guess what it is? ;)
And with this innocence now disappearing, I'm determined to make him realize all that the true meaning of Christmas entails... not just the thesis, namely that "Christ was born in a manger to live on this earth and die for our sins..." but to know and apply it to our lives, intentionally living it out.
Thank goodness I have the whole season.
And really, in this case, I hope the Christmas season is all year round.
So what were some of the small things we did, to emphasize Christmas with the boys this month?
Well, for the next 7 days I hope to have a countdown of sorts of ways which we've tried to be intentional with our children. (And yes, my days will be off a day from Christmas day, because I thought it'd be fun to end on Christmas :)
So here it goes...
Day 7... Giving your Time...
I know, this one may sound a bit lame-o, but with Joel gone last month, well, let's just say that I really saw what happens when children do not have a father in the home. Yikes. I'm still trying to deal with the aftermath of it all. It really helps me see the value of a good Christian, two-parent home (not that kids can't thrive under single parent, or non-believing homes).
But anyways. This month Joel has his last out rotation, and every once in a while, he has actually had an afternoon off. Yay!!
He asked me a few nights ago if I'd be ok with him taking Liam skiing. Thought it'd be a good Daddy date. And apparently it was. Bonus points for making it a cheap date (Liam is under 5, so Joel only had to pay for ski rentals), and going during school hours so the bunny hill was pretty quiet. God is good. :)
It's been cute to hear Liam's prayers since... asking Jesus to help him not need the rope next time. Remember his bike helmet. And be a good skier like his Daddy.
Oh, and funny story. Joel told Liam they were gonna go on a date and where should they go... Liam said how about Home Depot (though he was just there with me earlier that day), Starbucks or the movies. Joel asked what about doing something in the snow... Liam said, "well, we already went sledding together... maybe we can shovel!"
Gotta love it when they still think work is fun :)
By the way... the swim goggles... yes, I know. A riot. Liam hates getting water (or snow) in his eyes. So he came up with that one all on his own.
Joel said this conveyor belt moved 5-7mph. Apparently that was too slow for him, so at time Joel just carried him up the hill. Must've been a sight. :)
As for the video... well, Joel's phone died shortly after. But apparently Liam went down the hill a few times without falling! :) They even stayed til dark, cuz Liam was having so much fun
So yeah, the gift of time. I would almost say this one can't be beat. (And the later ones aren't necessarily better). But that is a way we can be intentional with our children. Some gifts can't be seen.






No comments:
Post a Comment