Friday, December 20, 2013

Parousia

I've always been more into Greek then Latin.

Sure, it can be very accurately argued that Latin is more common in today's society, but with ancient Greek you can really get an in depth understanding of the Word. Sometimes there is a lot of more "meat" to a word then the English translation lets on. It might not necessarily be the case in this instance, but I thought it was a fun to look back at the root anyways.

Did you know parousia is used over 20 times in the New Testament, and the vast majority of them are used in reference to the second coming of Christ? It means "coming, arrival, personal presence" and is usually in reference to royalty.

Can you guess what is the Latin equivalent of parousia?

Adventus.

Hence, the anglicanized... Advent.

I introduced Advent calendars to Liam this year. In two different ways. We have a "Christmas Countdown" created by a couple of wonderful Botsford wives and I back in our crafting glory. And we have our advent calendar. I like the countdown, because it is sequential; he goes to the calendar every day to count down the days until Christmas and then writes down the number in the little chalkboard circle.

(Here is a pic from yesterday)

And I love the Advent calendar, because the numbers are mixed up, so it forces him to have number recognition (gotta learn something through it ;), and then we read the verses that pertain both to the birth of Christ and His divine care for His children... and then he runs around the house trying to figure out how much money we get to donate to Lifesong (e.g.- today was donate 2 cents for every pair of shoes in the home). It also has a prayer guide on the back. A bit nontraditional, but it helps him see the more global perspective-- and I love that!






So can you guess what my Day 6 is for intentionally focusing on the Christmas season with my children?!

I think he was excited as soon as he saw the decorations in stores. But his excitement became greater when he saw wrapped presents begin to appear underneath the Christmas tree. He was constantly asking me when he could open them up. After I told him, "Christmas time", I was reprimanded that it was indeed already "Christmas time"... true true.

And so, we wait.


Oh, to have that anticipation and expectation not just for the remembrance of the birth of Christ (and all it entails today in America), but for the second Advent coming of our risen Lord and Saviour. And to have it not just during the holiday season, but all year round. The apostles had it. They waited with expectant hope. It might not have come in their lifetime, but it is promised. And to have it constantly be on the forefront of our minds. It is so beautiful to see a childlike version of it in my son, who speaks of the approach of Christmas with certainty. And be able to relate that to how we are to wait with same fervor for our Messiah to return. I love that almost daily he is talking about wanting to be in Heaven with Jesus someday.

As we celebrate the time when people waited in darkness for the coming Savior, let us be thankful for His light that He brought to this world and remember to reflect it as we wait for His second advent.



7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. 8Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.
James 5:7-8 



No comments: