Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Blessed Beyond Measure

I stand amazed at how God has provided for us these past couple of weeks. Not saying he didn't in the past, but I have truly felt your prayers while Joel has been in Africa.

I'm humbled.

And I may have even shed a few tears.

I must admit, I had been apprehensive leading up to the trip. It was clear God had wanted Joel to go, but at times it was a bit frustrating... I mean, hasn't he been gone most weekends and worked long hours during the week lately? (If you think I exaggerate, ask the ladies at church...) And he was going to be gone during wintertime... and those who know me well, know that I do not DO NOT handle water in a solid form well, unless it is coming from the freezer. You just rarely see that in the good ol' southwest. On top of that, well, it seems that just about every WORLD magazine lately (and sometimes Fox News) has had articles of Boko Haram.

What, you didn't know that Nigeria is only a skip hop jump away from Ghana? Well, neither did I until I google mapped it.

And I may have even wondered and struggled whether my initial excitement for him going was kind of like living vicariously through him. After all, I was supposed to have gone to Africa for a medical trip back in my pre-Virkler days. 

But I let go (and I hope I did cheerfully, though you will have to ask Joel for confirmation on that one).

But oh what a blessing it has been having him gone.

That sounds kind of  bad.

But it's true. I mean, we've missed him. We've definitely missed him. And Liam still tells me that his Daddy's parting words of wisdom were not biblical. But it has been a blessing to see what the Lord has done for us. And sometimes it takes a bit of vulnerability to see it more clearly.

  • I had a neighbor come out in subzero temperatures to help me shovel the drive.
  • Another neighbor will snow blow my sidewalks if he gets to them after work before I have time to shovel (during naps).
  • Yet another neighbor stopped by to ask me if she could get me groceries so I wouldn't have to bundle the kids up and take them out on the ice-covered roads.

... None of them even knew Joel was gone in Africa, until after they offered to help.

  • I've had friends offer to have us over for meals, and other friends bring us meals.
  • I've had friends pick me up, drop the boys off at a sitter (who watched my children for free!) so that I could get some free time with other young couples at church.
  • I had friends drive us to church, take me home, keep the boys for a couple hours to give me a break, and then take us to dinner.

And then God has blessed me with the boys. They have been phenomenal. Sure, they still have their moments, but for the most part they have been patient, kind and helpful... to me AND each other. And I with them.

And those are not even half of how He has spoken peace into our home this past week. Sometimes it was just the little things. A song here. A verse there. A random text from a friend. And we haven't lost any power, so we stay warm in the subzero temperatures. That right there is a blessing to me more then words can say.

So yeah, I have truly felt the prayers sent above on our behalf.

So thank you. :)

And he may still be gone for a bit longer. But help has arrived. And though she may not have a voice by the end of the day after all the books they have her read, I think they are all having a fun time. :)


"That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think , according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. "
Ephesians 3:16-21


No comments: