Last night while we were headed to church, it suddenly got super dark. That's because we left the lit streets when we entered Farmington Hills, which happened to have a power outage from the powerful winds. It was eerily dark (not to mention the normal dark that DST has brought), since most businesses didn't have back up generators. The only lights were the brake lights of vehicles, as it took a half hour to get to church instead of fifteen minutes from the traffic backup. Anyways, I commented to Liam (who does not like the dark), that it was very dark outside. He said, "Yeah. Sky needs moon and stars." ... Yup, that would have helped, as they were covered by clouds last night. Something about the way he said it though made me smile. He was so innocent, and so matter of fact. And it made me thankful for...
the light God's given to us, in technology, creation and His Son.
I think Liam doesn't like the dark, because I don't really care for it. I prefer to have even the smallest bit of light at night, and so does he (Len made him a glass dog nightlight that he loves to turn on each night). He doesn't like to have the light off until he is in bed, and would prefer for me to drive with the light on inside the car (though I won't usually do that for him). His fear of the dark has only been in the past couple months, but he will cry terribly if it becomes pitch black where he is- we've slept with the lights on because of this before! So I'm thankful for Len's nightlight, and the battery operated ones for those times when there is no outlet available. I'm thankful for lights that make the street clearly visible in the evening, and that light up our home at night. But I'm also thankful for the lights God created on Day 4- yes, I know He created light on Day 1, but I'm thankful for the sun, moon and stars that brighten up the outside! Although I love the city, it is a fun (and beautiful) change of pace to sometimes be able to gaze into a city-light-less night where you can truly truly see the millions of stars out there. It's breathtaking.
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness." Genesis 1:3-4 (emphasis mine)
And most of all, I'm thankful for the light given to us by His Son. :)
"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." John 8:12
First step- "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"... Next step- "In the Light" by DC Talk ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment