This post is part of the “Finding Spiritual Whitespace Blog Tour” which I am a part of...
To learn more, CLICK HERE!
To learn more, CLICK HERE!
We've been a bit non-stop lately.
I once heard the analogy that your life is like a bunch of
glass jars lined up on a mantle. Each jar is representative of the time in your
day spent with someone or doing an activity. There are only so many jars you
can place up there. If you try to put up too many, something else will fall
off.
I feel like this is how my life has been these past few
months. Some things have unfortunately fallen off the shelf and others aren't
getting the time and quality they deserve as I live a jam-packed schedule. And,
as, evidenced by the past few posts, my shelf has been sagging, burdened by the
weight of it all.
Enter the need for whitespace.
In her book, Finding Spiritual
Whitespace, Bonnie Gray explores how we can awaken our soul to spiritual
rest and a closer communion with Christ. The Bible clearly portrays God as the
divine Creator, the great artist in this world, who formed us all to be
beautiful individuals... His handiwork. Gray argues that all great works of art
and composition need to be surrounded by whitespace, the place where the eye can
rest (or in the case of a composition, a musical interval break). Whitespace
quiets the noisy background and gives artistic value. Nurturing our souls with
whitespace is a call to actually live a life of extravagance, to recognize that
God created us beautiful, as is, and
we don't need to clutter up our lives like pictures overtaking a fridge and
continue to perform in order to improve ourselves. We need whitespace in order
to live a beautiful life for God.
Bonnie Gray was working on her book when she began
suffering from anxiety and was diagnosed with PTSD. She began suffering from
insomnia and reliving painful memories from her past, ones she thought she had
overcome, but had really just been pushed and hidden within her. Through her
struggles and search for whitespace, she discovered four elements that are key
in this endeavor: creativity, adventure, community and soul care. Gray, the
faith barista, writes and provides examples of how you can sip and delight in
these elements while nurturing your soul. At the end of each chapter she
provides questions and activities for reflection, ideal for a small group
setting.
The book was written in an interesting way, skipping from
painful memories of Gray's childhood, to more present ones and sessions with
her psychiatrist, to reflective application for the here and now. At times it
was difficult for me to read, though I wonder if it was mostly from my own
burdens at the time. God used this book to speak to me however; almost each
chapter I read helped me as I struggled to trust and serve His direction in our
move. I was reminded that often, the harder path is to choose rest, looking to
none but Jesus. It is not always easy to choose the intimacy rest requires over
the safer and easier path of continuing along in my normal routine. It is not a
simple flip of a switch, but requires intentional effort to forcefully stop
myself to not think of our impending move, but when I did so, it was only then
that I felt peace. At my most vulnerable moments was when I could truly feel an intimate relationship with Him, knowing that when I am weak, He alone is glorified. I would definitely like to read this book again, soaking up
more of it's applicable wisdom.
Bonnie Gray is the writer behind Faith Barista.com who wrote a book about her inspiring, heart-breaking journey to find rest. I was given a free copy in exchange for a review.
If you would like to know more about the freedom and rest in Christ that whitespace can give you, you can get a copy HERE.
... and with that, I'm headed up to a cottage by the lake (with no cell service from what I can remember!) for a week of some "white space" :)
If you would like to know more about the freedom and rest in Christ that whitespace can give you, you can get a copy HERE.
... and with that, I'm headed up to a cottage by the lake (with no cell service from what I can remember!) for a week of some "white space" :)



No comments:
Post a Comment